November 1, 2008

Lessons

God is great and uses my son on many occasions to teach me.

Today, Nov 1, Liam had an unfortunate incident with a toy that resulted in scrapping his gums and hurting his two middle bottom teeth.

Here's how it went down. I was trying to get things ready for us to go out for the afternoon on some errands and to see Lance at the theatre. I had stepped out of the room, Liam was in his pack-n-play, safe, I thought.

Well, I come back into the room and he is screaming, crying, and holding his mouth. Now, there is a distinct difference in the "I want out" cry and the "I'm hurt, Mommy" cry (which he does rarely). So I come in and see that he has blood running out of his mouth and his little fingers are covered in saliva and blood. Making things worse with my fear and worry, I swooped him up out and into the kitchen to get some water to wash his mouth out so I could assess the damage. Well, if any of you have had a little one, you know that they don't usually cooperate when it comes to certain things. Well, Liam didn't want to have anything to do with mommy looking in his mouth. All he wanted was to stick his own fingers in and get out whatever it was that was hurting him. He didn't realize that mommy was trying to do exactly that, stop whatever was hurting him.

What I think God was showing me in this situation is: There are times when I get myself in a mess and get hurt (emotionally, physically, spiritually). Then I try really hard to fix the situation and get my hands and everything else all in the way. God doesn't want that to happen. If I will just stop, take a deep breath, pray & think about the situation, and get out of the way, He'll take care of things for me.

When I finally got a bottle of water and some ice for Liam, that's what he did; he moved his hands out of the way so that relief could come where he needed.

I pray that this lesson sits with me and that I learn from it. If I could get myself out of the way of what God wants for me during good, bad, or indifferent times, He will make amazing things happen. He will give me that living water that he wants me to have. He will cool down the things that are hurt and bothersome.

No comments: