October 12, 2009

"Meek & Quiet Spirit"

Today most people think a "meek and quiet" person is weak, timid, and soft-spoken.

However back in Peter's day, the term "meek (Greek word-praus)" is one who is friendly, warm, patient, kind, and gentle. "Quiet (Greek word-hisuchios) depicts a person who knows how to calm themselves and to maintain a state of peace and tranquility.

The quality of a "meek and quiet" spirit is a treasure, so much so that God says a woman who has achieved this state of maturity possesses something of great price. A woman who continually controls herself-holding her temper, keeping a lid on her emotions, and remaining a stable, tranquil force in every situation-is demonstrating evidence of a great maturity.

Oh man did this hit home with me today. Before reading this devotional, there were times when I thought that a "meek and quiet" person was weak, timid, and soft-spoken. Thank you Lord for opening my eyes to this new vision. God appreciates it when we put aside our own anger or emotions and instead helps peace reign in the situation. I pray that I allow God to teach me to look to Him rather than be swayed by the circumstances of life.

We have a choice to either react in anger or in this new vision of meekness. Every time we have an opportunity to react in the flesh or be up and utter words that will later be regretted, we can choose to be a peacemaker.

Lord, I am so thankful for you. Please help me learn how to keep a rein on my tongue and how to submit my attitude to the Cross of Jesus Christ. Help me also to perceive how I can become one of those rare and special women You consider such a great value and worth. Holy Spirit, it's going to take a deep work of Your grace in my life for me to become this kind of person. So today I ask You to initiate this vital work deep inside my soul. Please transform me and make me into the person You want me to be.

(excerpts from the Sparkling Gems Devotional, Oct 12th)

No comments: