November 5, 2009

Daydreamer...

1 Tim 4:7 "But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness."
NLT version says "Don't waste time arguing over godless ideas and old wives' tales. Instead, train yourself to be godly."

The Bible doesn't tell us exactly what these old wives' tales were. It seems that Timothy may have been so exhausted that he was starting to daydream about finding an easier and more trouble-free way to do his job. Was he tempted to daydream about life in the ministry becoming simpler? Was he hoping that things would eventually become a lot less hectic, undemanding, and uncomplicated? If he was....then his thinking would definitely fall into the category of a fable/wives' tale.

I can look back at my time in ministry when I have done just what Timothy did. I'm sure that anyone working in the ministry can say the same thing. Wondering....what can I do to make this easier? Is there a short cut? How can I get this done faster?

When God trusts you enough to give you more and more responsibility, it always demands more of you, not less. Ministry is work, and none of us should ever forget that fact!!

Those anointed by God just need to face the fact that your schedule will get busier, your demands will increase, and your challenges will grow. But as long as you allow God to develop your character along the way...you will find that you're able to successfully manage anything He puts on your plate!

When challenges head your way.....you need to adjust your thinking and take a different approach to the challenges. Rather than pray them away, embrace them and use them to develop yourself.

When you are physically or mentally exhausted, your mind may be tempted to daydream or to wander to other places. It is amazing how the mind tries to escape from reality. But rather than let yourself float away on a cloud of fantasy that doesn't help you fulfill your God-given assignment, ask the Holy Spirit to help you see things realistically.

Lord, help me to stay focused on what You have called me to do and to embrace everything that comes with Your call on my life. Forgive me for the times I've tried to find a shortcut to avoid responsibility. I want to put my whole heart into the race You have set before me-to fulfill my assigned tasks fervently, passionately, and with the highest level of excellence. I confess that I am both faith-filled and realistic about what God has called me to do. I realize that it's going to take hard work and commitment to take this assignment to the high level that God expects of me. I refuse to shrink from my responsibilities, and I choose to put my whole heart and soul into the task Jesus has given to me. In Jesus NAME!

(sparkling gems)

No comments: